Saturday, March 13, 2010

Happy to Be Back in the BIG CITY


I returned this week to NYC after being in NC for three weeks working on the NC Theatre production of "The Full Monty." Despite the 2.5 hour trek from the Newark International Airport to my apartment (the last 10 minutes spent lugging my 50lb suitcase, small carry on suitcase, and my computer bag up what should be an illegally sloped hill), I was happy to arrive "home" after being away for so long.

My time in NC involved two weeks of rehearsal and one week of shows, 10 performances in all. The cast, production team, and crew were all fabulous, amazingly talented and professional people and oh yeah, really nice! Everyone was a complete joy to work with and some great relationships were formed. And it felt like an unexpected gift to think that I got to return to NYC with all these new friends in my life, as many of the cast are Big Applers too!

Some of the highlights of the show were... getting to know and work with the wonderful and gifted Sally Struthers. She is the perfect example of a true star...talented, gracious, and giving. And she is straight up hilarious, always cracking jokes and making everyone smile. Thanks Sally for being such a bright spirit! Also, I really enjoyed working alongside such talented people who really take their craft seriously, who work hard and know how to have fun while doing it. I learned so much from watching them from the wings during a performance or during the rehearsal period. They were each so inspiring and motivating. Finally it was a blessing to be able to share the show with so many people that I know and love from the Raleigh area. Many of my friends and family were able to attend the show and it made the journey that much more special. A shout out to my friend, Ruby, who traveled all the way from NASHVILLE to see me. You get the golden ticket girl. Overall, this was a true dream come true. I grew up in Raleigh and actually went to several NC Theatre auditions when I was younger. But I never got cast in a show there. I think it was because I was too young or too old for the parts in the shows but it always felt like I just wasn't good enough. I did have the opportunity to perform on the Memorial Auditorium stage with Ira David Wood's "A Christmas Carol" and as a dancer in the Miss NC pageant but I still always wanted to say I was cast in an NCT show. Now, I can say I have been. Thank you to Carolee and the Creative Team from this show for making that dream come true. You don't know how much this means to me. And to top it all off, through this show I will now be eligible to become a member of Actor's Equity, which is a huge step and a great thrill!

Now that I am back in NY I am excited to be working on two great Spring recitals/concerts for the two studios I work with in the area. I really missed my students while I was gone so it was great to return to their smiling faces this week. This week I also attended two dance calls for "South Pacific" and "Rock of Ages." Both of which were very fun and challenging! It's great to be able to just hop on a train and go to a Broadway audition. I mean really. This month is very busy with auditions so I'm very excited about the days to come.

I look forward also to what the summer holds, hopefully some great opportunities both in the performing and teaching realm. I will be sure to keep you posted.

Lastly be sure to check out my brand new website... www.joshuastalls.com which has all kinds of info, pictures, and updates. You can also become a fan of mine on Facebook. Until next time, dream big, live big, give big.

Much love...

josh

No comments:

Post a Comment